Monday, November 3, 2014

Microaquarium 3

Week 2 of the microaquarium was much the same as the first one. I started by signing into the lab and picking up my aquarium. While Dr. McFarlane set up the camera microscope, I used a regular microscope to search for anything different in the water. I noticed it seemed to be harder to find diatoms then it was last week. I looked at the feed pellet that was added and noticed that there was a lot of different organisms swimming around and feeding on it. I also checked on my rotifers from last week and they were still thriving pretty good. The picture I took this week was a Vorticella sp. that was identified by Dr. McFarland and confirmed with Free Living Freshwater Protozoa: A Colour Guide (Fig. 232 Pg. 113). It was just sitting there with no sign of movement, which is strange as it is a living organism.
 
 
Figure 232, Page 113.
Patterson, David J., and Stuart Hedley. Free Living Freshwater Protozoa: A Colour Guide. London: Wolfe, 1992. Print.
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment